- To what extent did nationalism play a role in the ending of the Cold War?
- What evidence is there that the Cold War is still alive?
- What is the difference between hard power and soft power and which was most important in bringing about an end to the Cold War?
- How did the process of ending the Cold War differ from the process of ending a conventional or hot war?
- What are the various internal and external factors that contributed to the end of the Cold War? Which factors do you believe were the most important?
- How did the 1980 and 1984 Olympics reflect Cold War tensions?
- To what extent did the events in Eastern Europe during the 1950's foreshadow the events of 1989-1990? What about the events of the 1960's and 1970's?
- To what extent was the Cold War ended by the personalities of Gorbachev and Reagan, and to what extent were impersonal forces responsible?
- Why did the post-Brezhnev era Soviet leadership increasingly distance itself from class struggle as the determining factor in Soviet foreign and domestic policy?
- Explain the unintended consequences of three of the following: the Helsinki Accords, glasnost and perestroika, the Afghan War, Gorbachev's UN speech, and Hungary opening its border with Austria.
- If you had to choose one event as the beginning of the end of the Cold War, what would it be? Defend your answer.